Thursday, February 3, 2011

fire and ice -- WTH is goinin on

howdy folks!  warm yet?  i'm sure not.  every day seems colder -- and icier.  in turn? causing me to be less and less productive, and more and ---- let's just say quiet.  i'm really not bein bitchy -- at least i don't see it -- if i do, it could be much worse, and has been in weather, and pain like this.  but lately i just go to bed early, or 'shut it down' when i hear- or feel conflict on the way.  i hate conflict and arguing as much or more than the cold.  and i've come to realize, its much easier to excuse myself from conflict - than it is from freezing ;))

so anyhow-- it is damn freezing here in tejas.  this is our fourth day in a row of black sundays!  businesses -- to include dr's offices -- between me and soulkid - two dr. appts have been re-scheduled due to this weather- over the last three days.  ALL schools have been shut down all week. flights out of both airports - in and out (DFW and Love field )  have been disrupted - if at all.  and oddly enough, there was a major fire in an apartment building i think yesterday -- and one three alarm fire on the news right now!  also a assisted living place had pipes bust and had to be evacuated of almost 80 old folks . 

we moved here days before soulkids 7th birthday -- almost 10 years ago -- this is the worst weather we have seen.  back then - she was about 8 or 9, we had a 'major ice storm' -- they shut down schools etc -- the entire town panicked etc -- but by day three everyone was laughin about it-- roads were clear and it was all 'fear of'.  this time?  the dogs don't even last more than 45 seconds outside!  me? i don't even try!  i won't walk to the mailbox -- kinda not new -- but this time it's not a mental thing -- this time i'm in fear of freezing before i make it back to the door!  :))

my fears of the now?  another rolling black-out --- which are now lasting up to 8 hours!  it's again -- feels like 4 outside!!!!  2nd?  my mommason flies in tomorrow morning -- sorta-- around 11 a.m.  there are still issues with flights -- NM - and here.... no tellin how that will go -- but there's no way i can drive - so now soulman has to get her after work -- which means -- she will have to sit at the airport for maybe three hours alone before he can get her!  IF her flight can go.  i feel so bad for that.  the plan was that i would pick her up-- but i get mental driving on ice -- due to a wreck on ice with soulkid when she was 5 -- and again a ice storm and a horrible three hour wait-drive over the santa rosa mountains in NM -- in frickin march years ago-- alone... sooo many horrible wrecks-- coronor vehicles-- one PT cruiser ripped right in half.  same trip i almost crashed twice myself on black ice. i just can't do it.  the last time i did?  was a couple years ago i went to iowa -- scared shitless -- snow-ice- losin my ass end.  i survived obviously-- but not without bein reminded -- ice on the road is not my friend!

SO.  was that too whiny?  wasn't meant to be-- just updatin .  flash-backin :~)

as far as my progress on my chores yesterday?   let's just say --- epic fail.  i got very little 'work' done.  i had some problems on an account or two-- payin bills online -- which took a lot of time-- i finally gave in and wrote checks -- which didn't make it to the mailbox yet :))  for reasons above.  bleh.   as for housework?  i'm down to my office.  soulman - due to his month long pneumonia, and vacation, and this week helpin with other stuff - and workin on soulkids jeep -- and a dozen other projects -- has still not got the floor trim laid in the office -- so i'm down to just givin in and puttin my furniture back in place and gettin things where they belong in there -- without the trim.  i hate that it won't look right -- but we'll just have to do it again when he does have time.  i've been a mess without my office-- and it sure hasn't helped the house-- i have 'portable offices ' all over the place.  so -- i didn't really get to that at all yesterday -- i must get it finished today now.  i just don't know if i have it in me.  maybe soulkid will piss me off or something.  anger is my second best motivation -- after company :))

ok -- did i miss anything?

stay warm peeps !!!!

poor dallas is sufferin big time for the weather -- superbowl week -- in an ice storm -- weeee?  just not makin the money they expected are they.  money grubbin- whooooors.  :))  that'll teach em to jack up all their prices.  :))  i do feel bad for the folks who paid a lot of money to get here and planed a good time - and are now trapped in their hotels.  other than that -- i hope the greedy learn a lesson. 

my dads most memorable quote--as a father of 4 girls -- what do greedy girls get? -- NUTHIN

i miss my daddy-

happy freezin thursday y'all -

oh-- about my recent cooking?  the kitchen has been so clean, it doesn't bother me.  i've missed my cookin-- but damn sure appreciate the families help!  i'd be starved for sure if they hadn't taken over the shopping and cookin this last year or so.  it's been a real self esteem booster lately to realize i CAN do these things still with a little mental steam and gusto though.  it sure has beeen a while since i've felt that in me!

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm horrible with comments anyway but I never quite know what to say to one of your posts. Usually when I reply to a blog its to comment on a specific subject but your posts often cover so many I don't know what to say.

So rather than comment specifically, I'm going to be general.

I love how you write. I feel comforted by the randomness of it, from the unstructured nature of it. As I read, I relate because the way you express things is exactly how my mind processes things, sometimes in-depth but more often in short blurbs.

Anyway, since I've been back I've yet to comment on a post and wanted you to explain.

Smocha said...

LOL I'm with the ranting monkey, I never know what to say either. After I read my poor mind is like a blender whirling around with information....too fast for me to catch a cohearant thought. Just so ya know. It's me, not you :)

Glad your house is all spiffy and you're doing so well. Hope ya'll have a good time with the company. I thought graduation was in the spring?

Did you see freakin Chicago? Holy crap!

They may have an airport shuttle that can get mammason to a hotel near your house or something, then you can get her from there.

Take tons of pics!

Love me

SOUL said...

hey man, how good to see you! it's been a looong time!
general comments- are better than none - right? they are for me. :)) so thanks.

but hey -- what's this mean--?

"since I've been back I've yet to comment on a post and wanted you to explain"

explain what?

happy- warm thursday !

SOUL said...

smocha-- i just talked to mommason. some rough news has come her way -- so between that - and the snow and ice -- on both ends , she won't be able to come at all-- right now. everyone is disappointed - but all is obviously out of anyones control, and fully understood.
we will miss her here -- but most likely will still see her fairly soon regardless. under different, and sadly, unexpected other family circumstances.

are y'all any warmer than us?
love me

JY69 said...

Stopping in to say "hi" and hope the Soul Family is staying safe from the storms...

Cheryl said...

I can't believe your weather. And at Super Bowl time. It's just crazy. I'm s.o glad my part of the country has been spared. At least for now. Stay warm and safe

Unknown said...

Slip of the fingers. Shoulda been, "wanted to explain to you"

Josie Two Shoes said...

This nasty cold weather is very isolating and dreary Soul Sis, we will all be glad when the Texas sunshine returns! I try to remind myself that we are looking at a few days of misery whereas my family and friends up north are doing months and months of "hard time" in the white stuff and bitter cold. So glad we are Texans, huh?! I think you've done wonderfully getting your house this far and cooking a little bit too. I know how much effort that all require of you, and how much pain and struggle it involves, so give yourself some kudos Soul Sis, and enjoy the Mommason's visit! Fishin' weather will return before long! :-)

SOUL said...

gotit frank -- thanks --

to the rest of ya-- and you monkey man -- i'm almost at apoint that i can take some time and make my rounds -- i miss everyone of you!
hope all is well with each of you!

ethelmaepotter! said...

I know what you mean - we had 3 glorious days of 60 degree weather, now we're right back to frigid - every day in our 7-day forecast has snow probability!!!!! I am so ready for winter to be over!

And no, you don't sound any whinier than I do...which may be a bad thing. I don't know.

Donna said...

I see that you are having frightful weather down there, along with power outages and natural gas shortages too. Yikes! Hope you stay warm and safe as you can!

Debbie said...

Well poot. She can't come? This sucks. You guys do have hellacious weather down there. We got rain.

I hate ice too and you sure were lucky!!

I see there is a Ranting Monkey here? Ummm. Must check this out LOL

((Hugs))