Sunday, January 20, 2008

chillen chatter

i'm pretty late today getting a post up--- kinda staggering between blogs.. and bank crap... and dogs.. and other misc stuff. i can't seem to stay focussed on any one particular thing today. well- that shouldn't be a surprise. i am never focussed am i?

anyhow--- simonsays/jamie at everyone thinks i can fix it ---->> linked ovah there --->>>>
posted, ummm, yesterday (?) about the way her kids spoke, and things they would say when they were little. and how these words or phrases seem to hang around -- even years later.

well, it seems she has started a trend , and others are posting about their own family sayings... OLDY, just did hers today--- but, most of you can't even read it--- unless you have an invite by email from her --- cuz "oldy-man" is a butthead and made her go private with her blog .
does that bother me.. umm yes a bit. but it's not my blog--- or my man.. so i'm ok. :)) but it is really cute ... perhaps i will post hers here so everyone can see it... cuz it is really good. maybe cuz it's my family-- but i don't think so--our kids are just damn cute!


so anyhow... on to my own.. family words and phrases post---

soulkid--- of course i shall start with her-- she started talking really young. she didn't really use a lot of baby talk.. she talked in regular words most of the time, although there were some she didn't quite pick up on right away... partly, in my opinion, it was because we didn't talk to her in baby talk.. there was no "nannas" or --- well shit-- would you believe i have forgotten all the baby words to even use for examples.. but who can forget nanas. right.

well anyhow---
oldy already discussed one of her favorite words.. which was "gucky".... she didn't quite remember the way that word came about though.. so i will explain....
she was soooo totally addicted to a pacifier--- good Lord.. that kid would have one in her mouth and one in each hand ... i soooo regretted ever giving it to her. i was surprised she ever learned to talk at all with her mouth stuffed with that thing almost all the time.
well.. anyhow-- her dad and i knew "pacifier" was too big a word for a baby--- we had a dog that we had called darinka, before she was born.. which for some unkown reason i began to call "binky" so--- binky was out. we had no idea that the dog would be out of the picture before she learned to talk-- but that's another story---- so anyhow-- there we were with already three strikes against us for a word for the most important thing to our baby. she would almost have rather had that damn thing in her mouth than food. but anyhow....
we finally decided that we would call it a "sucker"..... THINKING.. that by the time that she would actually be eating candy suckers-- the gucky would be long gone--- we were wrong.. she kept that thing til her fourth birthday, when we told her it was the gucky--- or us-- she threw all of them in the trash and never looked back. i'm just kidding...we really didn't say them or us-- but she really did throw em away on her own, and that was that. but i can't believe it took four whole years to do it...
anyhow--- she couldn't say sucker-- so she said "Gucky"... and that is what a pacifier has been to all of us for the last 13 years.
we also had a cat-- we named him Gucky-- in honor of THE Gucky-- HOPING she would transfer her love to the cat--- never happened.... but again.. the cat-- another story-- and trust me.. now is not the time for that one.

good lord.. if it is gonna take me that long to explain every word i may as well hang it up right now.
i shall try to be less descript...

oh yes.. here's a good one..
at least i think so--
she was maybe two-- or so. y'all know my memory-- and YES it is sad that i can't even remember her age at times such as these--
anyhow.. pretty sure she was close to two-- just cuz of where we lived...
soulman had a habit of saying stuff to other drivers on the road... still does in fact--
anyhow, one of the most common things that he would say back then was
"outta the way clown!"
so there we are, drivin down the street, obviously she had heard him say it enough by then to know exactly why he said it and what it meant...
well... some asshat was driving like five miles an hour, and i guess she could sense his frustration... so before even HE could say it-- she shouts out-- quite plainly, "outta the way clown!!"
it was soooo cute.

ahhhh... then there was this one...

somewhere near like one and a half years old or so two maybe-- walkin and talkin ... but not perfectly yet--
well, my sister had moved from washington to florida where we were, and her, her boys, and her , i think two cats--- stayed with us for like a week or so til they found a house---
so her cat .. a grown, male, was walking across the living room ... and there goes soulkid... chasing after him... pointing at his .. well, his balls.. ... and she kept trying to grab them, saying "somethin, somethin"
she thought they weren't supposed to be there, and she was gonna take them off! just trying to be helpful ya know :))

ok.. anyhow--- i will move on to some things my nephews said that i remember or say from time to time---

the first to come to mind is... the youngest... he had a real problem with his speech.. only the family knew what he was saying, and much of the time his older brothers would have to translate for him..... he speaks perfectly fine now btw--- but it took until he was about 8 ish, to get it down. after years of speech classes.
anyhow---
one time , my mother, her at the time (obviously) boyfriend, and i , had him, and we all went to breakfast at dennys' or somewhere like that.
he was maybe 4ish. so the waitress assumes that he would be able to order his drink for himself...
so.. she asks what he would like to drink.. he says

"bite and some baby"
i really hadn't spent a lot of time with him, as he was the youngest and i was in the navy..so i was pretty much still in the learning stage of his unique language... i could communicate with him.. but "bite and baby".. i hadn't heard before.
after being asked by the waitress, myself, and my mother-- a few times-- he grew frustrated.. and managed to say it a little louder-- somehow i picked up on it-- and what he was requesting???
sprite, and gravy!!!!

to him.. coke was "hoke" and that boy could smell hoke from ten feet away-- "i hmeww hoke!"

cartoons? hawtoons!

sweet sweet kid. and much much easier to talk to these days :))

number two---
loved music.. he had one of those-- really old these days-- but a playskool? radio? like from the 70s or 80s?? remember them? well it was like his favorite thing..
but he couldn't say radio----
it was a wanio...
his favorite song was the jeffersons theme.. that show would come on tv..and it didn't matter where he was or what he was doing-- he would run to the tv and dance while watching it come on... when the song was done....so was he.

number one-- i spent the most time of all three with him... i was still living at home when he was born...and at times would live with or close to my sis.. or at least visit-- but of course-- he was young-- long before soulkid... so i have to reach even further back for his memories...
i do remember when he was like 2... he talked young too...
the whole family lived in one house in colorado--- and where we lived there was lots of squirrels and trees etc... and he really loved to sit on the deck..which we called a porch... it had a bench or a swing-- i'm not sure which anymore--
but i was in high school at the time.. and really the only one that would be gone during the day, so when i got home he had missed me all day and would want to play--
so one of the things he said often..was
"bennna benna benna , come sit on da poach"...

i can't believe that was soooo long ago.

well anyhow--
i am certain i will think of more later-- but for now-- this is all i can remember--- sad but true.

maybe i shall do a part two when i haven't already blabbed so much...and i remember more.

have happy days...

today i get my hair done.. wish me NOT to go orange again.



12 comments:

Summer said...

The pacifier in our house was called a pug...derivation of plug. Ha!

No orange today. Though I saw a purse yesterday that was orange and a tote from LLBean that was orange and I kinda liked both.

You'd be in style.

SOUL said...

i like the plug/pug thing...

and hey-- if i go orange-- point me in the direction of that purse eh?
:))
have a good day-

Jamie said...

I LOVED this post - LOVED IT!

Thanks for picking up the theme--

benna...

LOL

xoxoxox

(to make up for forgetting earlier)

:)

SOUL said...

hiya jamie---
no no no
thank YOU for starting the theme--- so fun to remember these things--- and read them too---

hopefully others will post their stories too...

(hint hint y'all)

hope you're havin a good day today---
ttyl... ox
benna :))
oh geesh-- i hope that doesn't get goin around ;P

Anonymous said...

hmmmm hiya benna....LOL look at what Jamie started!!! that WAS cute... i only had one idea for coffee..now gotta think of more..but then it's in Japanese... that would take just too much translating...!

The Real Mother Hen said...

This is a really lively post Soul! :)

Arh, use your brain power to tell your hair to turn blonde, they will. Serious.

Blur Ting said...

Oh, Soulkid must have been so cute with the pacifier!

I didn't give my kids any. They're sometimes called "tu tu' or "choo choo' here.

I think the only child tend to speak clearly and is more matured because they mix around with adults and pick up adult lingo and mannerism.

Thanks for bringing back memories of our babies. Those were the cute, fun years!

Oldy said...

ok ...soul was supposed to put my post on here too ...since my dang blog is private:( but she didn't .
YET....so here it is.
(it kind of ties in with hers)

Hi all,

Yesterday Jamie
http://everyone-thinks-i-can-fix-it.blogspot.com/
had a really nice post on her blog about how families continue to use the funny words and phrases uttered by their toddlers.
Instead of posting it all in her "comments" I'm stealing the idea for my own post. :)



My oldest son was a pretty early talker .But there were a few things that just came out wrong. A cigarette was a civerlick, a hushpuppy was a honeymoon,a table was a tavle. And for some strange reason a choo choo was a guuh guuh. (really no way to spell that one, as it wasn't a spoken word, more like a sound in the back of the throat)



Later on in middle school , he had a teacher that was a stutterer and whenever a kid was being too noisy (mostly MY kid) he would say "Si sir, th the bamming"



My second son talked young but was not as articulate . When he was real young and crying ,I would quietly say "huh, what's that noise?" He would stop crying ,to listen.
Soon ,he was constantly saying "anoy" all big eyed and excited. It took us forever to figure out that he was actually saying "a noise?"
He also used to say "babwee" for baby.Another classic of his was "no I amn't"
(he had the right idea) lol



One time when he was about 2 he was watching a show on t.v. about baby animals . When they showed a human baby ,sitting out in a field ,all by itself he started crying and said "that baby don't got no mom"



The third son arrived with a pretty bad speech impediment.I could write a book on his "verbal typos" but I'll try to remember the ones that really stuck. :)
He used to whine about how something was "no fawdah" (no fair) and a girlfriend was an ordlefenn.
I have to laugh when I hear my husband say "no fawdah" when speaking about work or something.



Once we were filming a family video on Christmas.The oldest kids were singing Christmas songs,Logan joined in singing "deep and wide ,deep and wide" which came out "reep and ride reep and ride" then he finny whined "mommmm,i don't know how da do it"




His brothers still torment him with both of those. They are prone to blurt out "mommmm I don't know how da do it!" and the popular "reep and ride"



I think the funniest thing he ever said though was this one. We were in the grocery store ,he was sitting in the kid seat in the cart and right as this old women got in front of us he farted. I said to him "You're supposed to say excuse me."
He looked at me like I was crazy and said "I hafta say excuse me to my OWN butt?"




My neice Soulkid was a very smart baby and spoke very well . She did however use a pacifier for quite a long time. She called it a gucky .(reason unknown) lol
When she was about 2 my sister was trying to get rid of the stupid thing once and for all. So she told her "they don't have any more big girl guckys"
Soulkid was all mad and started crying "YES they do! I saw 'em at walmart!"




We do still use all of these funny sayings and it does somehow signify our "family-ness" lol new word.There are other ones we've all picked up along the way as well.



Once when the kids were younger I was dreaming and talking in my sleep. I said "I'm cleaning this place up."Now when someone is tired they'll just blurt out "i'm cleaning this place up"



And we all say "MY laundry!" Because my mother used to be overly concerned with her damn laundry. :)



There's also a few that stuck from movies. Like "my shoe da fell" usually blurted out in a totally quiet setting for no apparent reason.



Or my sister and I have been known to say "Oh right ,could you just like picture me ,in like a leather teddy?" Spoken like a valley girl.



Or "I got caught in a hanger" lol



I'm sure there are tons more that I am forgetting. But I do love the fact that these wacky memories have stuck with us .Just saying them can cause us to crack up laughing ,even at funerals. I know that's bad . lol


Ahhh it makes me miss those sweet babies that my kids used to be. Because they WERE the cutest and sweetest babies ever born. lol
And I'm not just saying that.

My shoe da fell.

Have a great day y'all!

Stole yer blog Soul. LOL
Sorry , I got caught in a hanger:)

EE said...

LOL!! Those were so cute!
I can just picture your little one with gucky in mouth and in both hands!
Sadly, none of my kids took to the gucky...they just wanted to suck on the bottle all of the time:(
Reilly couldn't say her "k's" until after a year of speech therapy at age 5. She used to say "Titty Tat" instead of "Kitty Cat". We called cats, Titties, for years after;)

EE said...

LOL!! Those were so cute!
I can just picture your little one with gucky in mouth and in both hands!
Sadly, none of my kids took to the gucky...they just wanted to suck on the bottle all of the time:(
Reilly couldn't say her "k's" until after a year of speech therapy at age 5. She used to say "Titty Tat" instead of "Kitty Cat". We called cats, Titties, for years after;)

Mary said...

I, too, have some pretty funny stuff. Maybe that can be a good subject for tomorrow's blog. I love the things kids say. They usually say them with big-eyed wonder.

Karen said...

We call pacifiers dummies in Australia and that's everyone, not just us. My daughter used to have one pinned to her clothes, one in her mouth, and two in each hand. I should write a post about the words we use in Oz that are different from the ones you guys in Yankee land use. Like we say nappies instead of diapers and there are a million more. I will work on that idea I think. Maybe then I won't have to translate what I say for everyone....lol.